Caramelised Onions

Yesterday, I’ve been sort of told off for not posting anything on my blog for such a long time. (Sorry, been busy!)  Overridden by guilt, I figured I had to offer you a recipe so good you had no choice but forgive my absence - and - I kid you not – caramelised onions is it!
Why? Same reasons as with most my recipes: it’s deliciously simple and simply delicious. But, best of all things, it can be used as an accompaniment or topping for so many savoury dishes. Love them in hamburgers, sandwiches, salads, soups, quiches, on pizzas, meats, jacket potatoes… Somebody stop me!!!
Since onions are mostly made of water, they reduce quite a lot once cooking – so you’ll need lots to begin with.
And before you ask – No, they won’t make your breath stink!

Tried and Tasted Recipe
  • 2 tbs vegetable/canola  oil
  • 3  large onions, sliced thinly
  • A pinch of salt
  • 1 tbs sugar
  • 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
  • Patience
Heat the oil in a large pan.
Add the onions and salt and cook on a LOW heat, stirring them with a wooden spoon every now and then to stop them from burning. If they start to stick to the pan, add a little water and stir again.
Once the onions have reduced in volume by at least half and started to turn golden, add the sugar and vinegar and continue cooking and stirring (always on a low heat) for another 10 minutes or until the onions turn caramelly brown.
And, you’re done!
They can be used hot or cold and will keep for a couple of weeks in your fridge.
Here’s a serving suggestion:
















Am I forgiven?

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you gave this recipe a try, I would love to hear about it. Also, don't hesitate to ask questions or just let me know what you think about this blog.

Related Posts with Thumbnails