Sushi Rice

Sushi is one of those foods which you either love or, if not hate, at least really can’t get excited about. I have to admit, after trying it a few times, that cold vinegar rice and raw fish are definitely not my thing. My youngest son however, being the gourmet he is, absolutely loves that stuff!
 Japanese food is quickly developing in France but I found out that making your own was really not so daunting and a lot easier on your wallet. Once you’ve found the perfect rice and the best method to prepare it, all you need is some lovely fresh fish.
I was quite happy with my last attempt (i.e. my son ate the whole thing and asked for more) so I thought I could post it. Here goes:
Tried & Tasted Recipe:
  • 250 g sushi rice
  • 350ml / 1 ½ cup water
  • 4 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1tsp salt
Place the rice in a large shallow bowl and cover with cold water. Rub the rice gently to release the starch. Drain in a colander and repeat this process twice or until the water is clear.
Drain the rice and let sit in the colander for 20 minutes.
Pour rice in a pan and cover with (350ml) water.
Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for about 10 minutes on a low heat.
Turn the heat off and let sit, still covered for another 10 minutes.
In a bowl, mix vinegar, salt and sugar.
Spread the rice on a large shallow bowl or a tray. Pour 1 tablespoon of the vinegar mixture and fluff up the rice with a fork whilst fanning it with a piece of cardboard or a magazine, add vinegar and repeat. Season to taste (with more salt or vinegar) and cover until ready to use.
Serve topped with your choice of raw fish or rolled into Makizushi and don't forget the sliced ginger, wasabi and soy sauce.
めしあがれ (meshiagare)





No comments:

Post a Comment

If you gave this recipe a try, I would love to hear about it. Also, don't hesitate to ask questions or just let me know what you think about this blog.

Related Posts with Thumbnails